Harbourfront Theatre is planning ahead for a strong future. With support from the Government of Canada, Theatre staffers are working to develop a strategic plan for the organization, and make theatre improvements to better position the theatre as a cultural tourism destination. This plan will set the facility’s future direction for the next three to five years.
The Honourable Gail Shea, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, on behalf of the Honourable Rob Moore, Minister of State (ACOA), and the Honourable Robert Henderson, PEI Minister of Tourism and Culture paid a visit to the Theatre today to announce the project details along with representatives from the Regional Cultural Events Centre Inc., owner and operating body of the Theatre.
Operating since 1996, the Threatre is considered a major tourism draw and cultural resource in the City of Summerside. As part of the overall plan, the Government of Canada and PEI 2014 Inc. are supporting the new development of the Ballad of Stompin’ Tom, a musical story of the Canadian icon, for the 2014 season.
- The Government of Canada, through ACOA’s Business Development Program, is contributing $130,000 which will support the development of the Theatre’s strategic plan, the purchase of new equipment for the production of high-quality live productions, and the development of the Ballad of Stompin’ Tom for the 2014 season.
- The PEI 2014 Fund is contributing $30,000 to Harbourfront Theatre for the production of The Ballad of Stompin' Tom for the 2014 season.
- Harbourfront Theatre will run the production exclusively on Prince Edward Island for the summer of 2014. Opening night will be celebrated on Saturday, June 28th.
- For more details on ticket availability, contact Harbourfront Theatre at harbourfronttheatre.com or by phone at
- 902-888-2500 or 1-800-708-6505.
- “The Harbourfront Theatre plays a key role in maintaining the rich history and culture in Western Prince Edward Island. I am pleased to announce our Government’s investment, which will support the theatre in its efforts to attract more visitors and increase their length of stay in the area by providing enticing product offerings in a modern facility.”
-The Honourable Gail Shea, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, on behalf of the Honourable Rob Moore, Minister of State (Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency)
- “We are pleased to announce that Harbourfront Theatre has received a PEI 2014 Fund grant for the production of The Ballad of Stompin’ Tom,” says Minister of Tourism and Culture, Robert Henderson. “This much-anticipated theatrical production will be a fitting tribute to one of Prince Edward Island’s most well-known and beloved artists, Stompin’ Tom Connors.”
- The Honourable Robert Henderson, PEI Minister of Tourism and Culture
- “The Ballad of Stompin’ Tom is the culmination of a dream for everyone involved at the Harbourfront Theatre. It is an iconic show that can put us on the map as a legitimate theatrical production organization. It also allows us to introduce the establishment of what will be known as The Summerside Theatre Festival.”
- Kieran Keller, General Manager, Harbourfront Theatre
- “Having performed in and witnessed audience reaction to The Ballad of Stompin’ Tom, I am confident that this show will attract a lot of new interest in what is happening theatrically this year on Prince Edward Island. With the one-and-only story of Canadian icon Tom Connors, a stellar cast and the intimacy of our wonderful theatre, we have the perfect combination.”
- Catherine O’Brien, Harbourfront Theatre Artistic Director
- “Stompin' Tom will always be with us through his music, and now we can experience in theatre how it all began, through good times and bad, forging ahead, becoming the proud Canadian we all learned to love and respect him for. On behalf of the Connors Family, we would like to thank the good people at the Harbourfront Theatre for reviving this great production about Tom’s unique upbringing and rise to fame by doing it ‘his way’.”
- Tom Connors Jr.
• Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency
• Harbourfront Theatre
• PEI 2014 Inc.
Director of Communications
Office of the Honourable Rob Moore
Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency
Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency
Senior Communications Officer
Department of Tourism and Culture