The Lunenburg Academy, one of the Town of Lunenburg’s most treasured structures, recently completed much-needed repairs to its roof and chimney. Last summer, the Government of Canada approved $31,775 in Community Infrastructure Improvement Fund (CIIF) assistance to support the Town of Lunenburg in making various repairs. Once the work began, however, significant roof rot was discovered and the need for additional repairs to the chimney identified. As a result, the Government of Canada approved an additional $33,048 in CIIF funding for a total of $64,823.
Recently, Gerald Keddy, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of National Revenue and for the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency and Member of Parliament for South Shore-St. Margaret’s, toured the facility with Lunenburg Mayor Rachel Bailey to review the refurbishments. The Town of Lunenburg’s ultimate goal is to repurpose the Academy for future use by community members and businesses.
Locally known as the “Castle on the Hill,” the Lunenburg Academy served as a school for 117 years until 2012. In its day, the Academy was considered state-of-the art and many of the interior aspects remain unchanged. Situated on one of the highest points of the peninsula, this three story wooden Victorian building can be seen from miles away and is a tourist focal point within the Town.
The Government of Canada, through its Economic Action Plan, committed $150 million over two years for the Community Infrastructure Improvement Fund which supported projects that looked to improve existing community infrastructure, such as community centres, recreational buildings, local arenas, cultural and other community facilities.
The Fund supported, on a cost-shared basis, repairs and improvements to existing community infrastructure that is accessible to the public. The Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency delivered the Community Infrastructure Improvement Fund in Atlantic Canada with an allocation of $16.6 million over two years. Quick Facts:
- The Lunenburg Academy was designed by H.H. Mott, a well-known architect from Saint John, NB.
- The construction of the Lunenburg Academy began in the fall of 1894 and cost $30,000 to complete. The Academy opened its doors to over 650 students on November 7, 1895.
- The Academy was the first structure in Lunenburg to be recognized as a National Historic Site of Canada.
- It is the only 19th century Academy building still intact in Nova Scotia.
“For over a century, the Lunenburg Academy has provided a unique, safe place for students to learn and people to gather. The significant repairs completed to the roof and chimney will help preserve this magnificent building, bringing it one step closer to having people walk through its halls once again. By making this investment, our Government is supporting the Town of Lunenburg in its vision to breathe new life into the Academy, bringing growth and prosperity to the community.” Gerald Keddy
Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of National Revenue and for the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency and Member of Parliament for South Shore-St. Margaret’s, on behalf of the Honourable Rob Moore, Minister of State (ACOA)
“Many words have been used to describe the Lunenburg Academy – beautiful, historic… majestic. It is one of the defining features of our skyline. Through this initiative, we’ve been able to repair some fundamental elements of this national historic building. The Town will continue to work strategically to identify uses and possible occupants to ensure the Lunenburg Academy is here for years to come.” Rachel Bailey
Mayor, Town of Lunenburg Related Products: Harper Government Strengthening Community Infrastructure across the Country Associated Links: Town of Lunenburg Lunenburg Academy Contacts:
Director of Communications
Office of the Minister of State
Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency
Director, Communications and Outreach
Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency
902-426-9417 / 902-830-3839 (cell)
Town of Lunenburg